Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Safe arrival!

After 28 hours of travel, I have finally arrived safely in Brisbane! Everything went according to plan, beginning with my flight from Detroit to LA, which left at 5:30pm on Monday, June 4th. I arrived in LA at around 7:30 LA time, and waited for my 10:30 flight to Auckland. Conveniently, the Northwest flights from Detroit to LA land in the same terminal as Air New Zealand, and also the same terminal as the $10 per value meal Burger King restaurant (!). I boarded the flight to Auckland, and from what I could tell, it was under 50% full. I ended up with my own row (although the arm rests didn't go up, so I couldn't lay across the three seats like most people--not a big deal), and had a pleasant 12-hour flight. The longest wait seemed to be when I was in Auckland, as it was the home stretch, and I just wanted to get the rest of the way!

Finally, I arrived in Brisbane, went swiftly through customs, and each of my 3 bags arrived on time. After going through the final screening, I purchased phone credit for my Australian cell phone, called Thomas, and was on my way to a taxi. Thomas was in rehearsal, so the landlords let me in the apartment and helped me with my luggage. The taxi cost about $45, which isn't too bad.

Since arriving back to the apartment, we've mostly sat around, and I've shown Thomas some of my new clothes. We're both very excited that I'm back, and adjusting to the fact that we don't have to do any math equations to figure out when we can talk to each other. : ) I took a short nap, but it felt like hours and hours. When I woke up, it was about 5pm, and already getting dark, so my body is VERY confused! I do think the trip was easier this time than last year, but we shall see.

That's all for now. I hope to post regularly this time around... we'll see how that goes.

1 comment:

Theresa said...

I'm happy to hear that you (and your luggage) made it back safely. Brett and I are so glad we were able to hang out a bit while you were stateside.