Saturday, June 14, 2008

Settling In

This week I accomplished a lot of goals. Wednesday was when it began. The classifieds here are best on Wednesdays and Saturdays (as Thomas told me), so Wednesday I decided to look for nanny/babysitting jobs posted in the paper. I only found one, but I gave them a call. So far I haven't heard back from this family, which is ok because it got me rolling. I put together a resume appropriate for this situation, and tried to google the "going rate" for babysitting/nannying around here. While googling, I came upon a fantastic website (gumtree.com.au), with everything from TVs for sale, to friendship and dating ads. From there I stumbled on one great opportunity after another. I found a TV that is being sold by a couple moving overseas (imagine that!). It comes with a DVD player and TV stand, and we're picking it up today. I also found a book club, Literature Loving Ladies (nerdy I know, but I really want to find a book club!). So far, I have emailed them, and plan to join the group on Thursday. The book is 'The Book Thief,' by Markus Zusak, an Australian author, but the book is published in the UK and US. It is incredible, and I haven't even finished yet. Hopefully it's a fun group, and if not, I found out about this extraordinary book in the meantime.

I've also organized one interview for a nanny position--Monday evening. They are right up the road, so I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will work out. It will be great to have some income, and something to do. Not to mention, who knows who I might meet from there. I've been emailing with another family, and I might interview with them, but it's not for sure yet.

Otherwise, I do need to get out there again musically, which involves practicing! I've taken a bit of time off from that, so we'll see if we can't amend that situation. I'll keep my ear to the ground for potential low brass students, but I am trying to be patient.

Monday I go back to my volunteer job at the museum, so it will be nice to see everyone there.

Thomas is doing very well. He is enjoying having me back, and we've settled easily into a routine, though it's changing all the time. In early September he will be auditioning for the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra, so soon he will be working even harder toward that.

That's all for now. I might wander down to the store for a paper (it's about a 2-minute walk from here).

1 comment:

Theresa said...

What a busy and productive day!! I'm so glad to hear that things are going well and you are getting settled back in.

Michigan isn't the same without you. We had Jennifer's baby shower at Rocky's on Saturday - 50 people believe it or not! Good food, good company (I sat next to your mom) and I can never pass up cake.

Keep posting to your blog - I'm reading it :)

Take care.